Old April 8th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Trek 2100 Carbon?

On Apr 8, 1:20*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 1:55*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:52*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53*pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. *Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
away from carbon frames and low spoke count wheels. *I think you were
on the right track with a Surly, or maybe a JTS. *Even the cross bike
your LBS tried to sell you... something other than carbon with wheels
that have few spokes. *It's kinda like having an old lotus as a daily
driver. *Sure, they're fun, but as a regular driver? *Then again, a
lot depends on your weight and the condition of your local roads and
paths.

Heh, see my last post. *I have a serious jones for an Elite, know
where I could get one for cheap?

nate- Hide quoted text -

Do you know what size frame you want? *Here's a couple to glance at:http://tinyurl.com/5gj7a7&http://tinyurl.com/6z5qw9

Yup. Nothing wrong with either of those. Good basic metal road bikes.
Catch the bug? Then buy another bike perhaps, after riding a while and
focusing your needs. Get bored with it? Unload the bike on craigslist
and lose nothing.