Old February 15th 18, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2/15/2018 1:01 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

You live in a relatively isolated area with few other cyclists, at least from what I can tell about Cameron Park. Try commuting on a two-way cycle track with dozens or hundreds of cyclists -- all with retina burning, round-beam mega-lights riding towards you . . . at night. It's blinding, and what is worse, it is harder to pin-point the cyclist. Also, how many daylight wrong-way cyclists do you encounter? Is there some epidemic requiring you to punish them with your blinding light. I see wrong-way cyclists and they don't give a sh**. A bunch of homeless dudes or DUII cyclists. I yell at them, and they don't even flinch. It's like the Walking Dead.

I was in a recent meeting and we were discussing a new multi-use path
along a drainage ditch, not even a creek. I asked about lighting for
night use. I was told that the water district doesn't like lighting on
creeks because they are riparian zones, though in the case we were
discussing it was not even a creek.

I've occasionally experienced the problem of bright lights of opposing
traffic on MUPs, but since people are buying lights that are usable on
unlit paths, they need pretty powerful lights. What would be good would
be an auto-dimming feature, when opposing traffic is encountered, though
even most vehicles have no such thing for their high-beam lights.

You would not want to be on these paths with inadequate lighting, but it
would be nice if people would be courteous and either dim their lights
or aim them slightly downward.