Old September 28th 18, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Buy that wheelbuilder a drink!

On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 9:13:14 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 08:19:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'll agree that it is difficult to discern but you can't REALLY
believe that that much damage was done to that car and the
wheel is unharmed?

So how would I fake such an accident? First, I would smash a car into
a post a few times to produce a suitable dent. Each time, I would
trial fit the rear wheel of the bicycle into the dent and take some
test photos. I would need a supply of spare plastic or vinyl bumper
protectors in case the dent did not quite match the bicycle. Probably
several cameras to take the photo from different angles. Some
Photoshop work on the best photos and send the photo to the media.
Destroy all the other photos to make sure nobody gets any evidence of
how it was done. Yes, it can be faked, but why bother?

Or, it could have been coincidence. Someone smashed their car into a
pole or something. Bicycle rider comes along and notices that his
bicycle will fit nicely into the smashed in front bumper cover. Take
a few photos and off to the media. Actually, I would have taken
several photos using much better quality and higher resolution than
what I've found on the internet, which makes me suspect this theory is
unlikely.

Anyway, notice something missing?
There's no skid mark on the pavement behind the rear tire.
Also, the patch in or on the pavement near the rear wheel looks like a
bad touchup job to hide an inconveniently placed shadow.

Jeff - I want you to think of this - that's an Illinois license plate. If that actually occurred why would it not be all over national news? It wouldn't be very difficult to fake simply by the car running into something like a fire hydrant and the cyclist getting a flat from the glass on the road and doing that while someone else took the picture as a joke.