Old February 7th 05, 09:33 PM
BrianW

Default How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike?

When shipping a bike UPS, be aware that they are very picky when it
comes to honoring insurance claims (no big news here), often using the
fact that a bike was not "professionally packed" to get out of paying a
claim. While I know I can package a bike as well as, or better than, my
LBS, I'm likely to pay them to do it in the future just to cover my
bases. Be sure to get an itemized receipt from the shop for the packing
charge so you have something to show UPS.

Also, I'd suggest handling the shipping part yourself. Not only are you
likely to save $$, but if the LBS handles it and there is a claim,
THEY, as the shipper, will be the one UPS deals with. Most shops will
not want the aggravation of jumping through all UPS' hoops to finalize
a claim. If you ship it yourself through the local UPS or FedEx
customer counter, you'll be able to deal with the claims adjuster
yourself, rather than through a third party. Been there, done that!