Old September 11th 17, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Road Discs

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 3:59:54 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
I prefer discs in rain, but I've never had problems with stopping a rim brake in the rain except once on a very poorly adjusted cantilever. You do get the momentary free-fall in really wet weather that is much less on discs, but riding in slightly wet weather is no big deal with rim brakes and aluminum rims. If I were on CF rims in the rain on a steep descent with rim brakes, I be scared.

I really don't want to wait and will probably get a rim brake, but who knows. I'm pondering. I was riding today with some friends and getting throttled -- because I'm older and slower this year but also because of my lumbering disc-brake gravel bike. Sorry, man, it is about the bike. Gaps between me and my cohorts are consistently smaller when I'm on my fast bike -- even the semi-fast Roubaix. I want my light bike back.

And my discs did not give me some wild advantage on the descents as claimed by others, e.g., "I can brake later in the turn and keep up more speed." What? Braking is braking. I don't brake any differently on my disc bike than my rim-brake bike, and my speed in or out of the turn is often determined by the amount of crap on the road and the crown camber. My friends were on rim brakes, and our places at the bottom of a twisting descent were the same as always -- and the only difference is that I had a draggy disc that was noisy for a minute until the piston withdrew fully. I don't know what's up with that, but apart from the noise, it doesn't slow me down. Anyway, I didn't feel like I had any great advantage. And when its wet, we all slow down because of low traction and not because of inadequate brakes. Nonetheless, I do like he power and modulation of discs, and they are clearly superior in rain.

-- Jay Beattie.

About 10 years ago my buddy bought a $1,500.00 CDN DaVinci MTB and rode it MOSTLY on paved roads and a few times on crushed limestone stone-dust rail trails oron very easy non-technical trails in a preserve near here. He went through disc pads very quickly to the point that he swapped wheels and put on V-brakes instead. None of the shops here, eventhe one specializing in MTBs and cyclo-cross could figure out why his pads wore out so quicly nor did they ever get the bike to stop eating disc pads at a very fast rate.

Cheers