Old October 9th 17, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default NY cycling & crime

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 12:09:35 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:
The article said he was 53 and his grandson was 16. So he became a
grandpa at 37. We can assume he was F-ing at about 18 and got a girl
pregnant and his son followed the family tradition of F-ing a girl at
about 18 and getting her pregnant. 18+18=36. Close to his age of 37
when he became a grandpa.

I think we should be worrying much more about the age children (boys
and girls) are F-ing than about carrying permits for hammers.

And therefore it's his own fault that he was attacked?

Coupla interesting things there. First, boys and girls have been
****ing by age 15-16 for 100,000 years or more. That's actually pretty
normal. The societal overlay of delaying sexual activity past age 18 is
a recent value mostly associated with urbanization, longer life
expectancy and increased economic prosperity- people don't need as many
kids for the family to survive and don't need them as early.

FWIW, Christendom was marrying off girls at 15-16, sometimes younger,
for most of its history. The Catholic Church used to consider rape
grounds for forced marriage as well; if you took a woman's virginity
whether by agreement, coercion or force you basically owned her.
Charming.

Second, the reported sexual activity of young Americans under age 18 is
falling in most groups and has been for years. Kids are tending to have
less sex, to use contraception when they do- resulting in a drop in
unintended teen pregnancy in most groups, lower rates of STDs in most
groups and fewer abortions.

Regarding the crime, I don't think thieves are too smart in NYC.
Guessing, just guessing, the bikes being stolen were not high dollar
bikes. The pawning, resale, fencing value would be minimal. Not even
worth the effort of transporting a bike around town. Bikes are not
easily moved items like jewelry or watches and are much harder to
fence. I don't see much return on investment in stealing bicycles.
They are fairly low value items with a lot of effort required to move
them.

Quick turnaround of enough money- $20, $50, $100- to get one's drugs, a
meal, etc. Most of this kind of crime is aimed at very basical goals.
People in the throes of withdrawal don't really have the mental energy
to be criminal masterminds. Generally they are looking for fast,
convenient and relatively low risk.