Old December 18th 12, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default bicycle seat that won't hurt my bottom

On Friday, November 16, 2012 9:15:25 AM UTC-8, Art Harris wrote:
Bill Proms wrote:

I've been cycling off and on for nearly a year. When I started, I'd ride

about 8 miles and didn't have much, if any, of my bottom hurting. Now that

I'm doubling the distance, lately my bottom has been hurting a little more

and I wonder if I could change the seat to something better. I'm overweight

by about 40 lbs, so that doesn't help when sitting on a small seat. One

time I had a pilonidal cyst removed from my bottom and the irritation I'm

What kind of bike? A racing style "ten speed" will put more of your weight on your arms/hands and less on your butt.

Padded cycling shorts will help, too.

Many folks (including me) find the San Marco Rolls saddle very comfortable.

Art Harris

I agree with Art. Moreover, after you ride for a long enough time you grow used to knowing how to sit on any good saddle and have very few problems. If you're really getting pains it's almost always because you're not sitting far enough back on the saddle.