Old August 31st 18, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 1:57:59 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
Why must we be social? I don't waive to other car drivers. I signal. There are many times I just want to be left alone while riding. And in fact, if you see me by the side of the road fixing a flat, don't stop; don't ask me if I'm O.K. (which is obvious because I'm seating the last inch of bead). Just keep on riding. There have been times when I've been trying to fix a flat, and so many people ask me if I'm O.K., I feel like I'm manning an information booth.

If I waived at every cyclist around here, I'd be exhausted. I'll waive sometimes, but I don't want it to be a requirement -- and I'm not hurt if others don't waive at me. Do all the riders in Amsterdam waive at each other?

-- Jay Beattie.

I remember that Jobst used to get quite annoyed if a bicyclist did not wave (not waived) back when he waved at them. However, I've never seen a law stating that a bicyclist must wave at another bicyclist or return a wave. VBEG LOL ;)

Cheers