Old September 27th 18, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default AG: pickup trucks

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 1:22:02 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/24/2018 11:16 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Sunday, 23 September, 2018:

The car we acquired yesterday has a trunk that is easy to put my
walker into, if the back seats are down. I'm not sure that I can put
the walker into it on days when I *need* the walker.

A very good friend of ours always takes her bike when she shops for
cars. Admittedly, she doesn't buy cars very often; but she won't buy
anything unless she's proven she can put her bike into it. I think she's
on her 3rd Ford Focus hatchback now.

She has the loading process down to a science: Flatten the rear
seatbacks; Spread the blanket in the hatch area and over the "bumper" to
prevent scratches; Remove the front wheel; Bungee the handlebars to one
side; Slide the bike in, rear wheel first, drivetrain up; Fold the
blanket over part of the bike; Lay the front wheel atop the blanket.

Then shut the hatch and drive away.

I use a similar approach with our Ford Escape: fold a seatback, remove the bike's front wheel, put the bike in so that the rear tire is wedged between the back of the front seat and the "B" pillar. Place front wheel in the foot well of the other rear passenger seat.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO