Old June 27th 03, 03:21 PM
Rich Clark

Default Any helmet laws successfully overturned?

"Peter Gardner" wrote in message
How many childrens lives would be saved if there were mandatory helmet

laws
for riding in cars?

Trying to redirect the flame war here....

The risk from being in a car is of a similar magnitude to the risk from
being on a bike. How about a push for manditory helmet laws in cars?
Perhaps that would discourage car use, as similar laws discourage bike
use.

The helmet laws don't discourage cycling because people don't want to wear
helmets. They discourage cycling because they increase the perception of
cycling as being inherently dangerous.

There are already mandatory seat-belt and air-bag laws for cars, and their
existence doesn't seem to discourage driving. People's capacity for
self-delusion should never be underestimated; they will choose their desired
result (I want to drive, I don't want to cycle) and then choose whatever
evidence supports it and ignore the rest.

RichC