Old January 12th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rowan

Default Too many flats... here's one solution.

jtrops;1169312 wrote:
The Big Apple is supposed to have a kevlar belt in it to prevent flats.
My thought is that if it is working at all I must be riding on the worst
section of road ever.

I think a major part of the problem is the broken glass issue which we
face in many places in the world. We have the worst section of road ever
here too- and it's everywhere. When I used to ride my 28" to Bell Block
every day, some weeks I had up to 5 punctures. We need effective systems
at stopping people from breaking glass on the roads, or to find an
alternative to glass! If anyone has any creative ideas about glass
management please share them. Many good ideas are being ignored by our
regional council and local government when we suggest things like a
refund on bottles (most people won't smash a bottle that cost them $2
extra). But I don't think tying glass to money would fix it either
because the most evil people have the most money, and would not care
about small change.

Changing to a 36" reduced my punctures from heaps to almost zero. Most
of my tire problems have been caused by faulty manufacturing on the 36"
innertubes, with two of them splitting at the seams untouched by glass.
I've still got a slow leak caused by this defect. At 5 times the cost of
a regular innertube there is really no excuse for such a consistently
faulty product (two out of three tubes had the same fault).

--
Rowan