Old April 15th 18, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Kidical Mass

This morning I'm catching up on e-mails that have to be read on my
secondary computer. (My primary computer supports a browser that can
handle hypertext, but crashes when asked to read GraphixML, so I dare
not click on links in e-mail.)

One of the links was to a blog that called my attention to a group
called "Kidical Mass".

The very first entry in the Kidical-Mass FAQ says quite firmly and in
detail that Kidical Mass is nothing like Critical Mass. Which makes
me wonder why they deliberately chose a name that's an obvious
reference to a notorious anti-biking organization.

Unlike the League Against Bike-riding, Critical Mass isn't a case of
the Tragedy of the Volunteer Organization. I was a newsletter editor
when Critical Mass was organized, and when I needed a file name for
their very first press release, I filed it as "Cold Chills".

I was amused that Kidical Mass goes on very long rides: often a whole
mile, and sometimes as much as four! Then I remembered that all these
children are on department-store toy bikes. Despite having worked up
to twenty-seven miles on my road bike, I can just make it around the
block on my Trek Pure. (And these are not Indianapolis-style
eight-to-the-mile blocks.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net