Old January 24th 04, 01:54 AM
onewheeldave

Default Adjustable crank idea

daino149 wrote:
*That's a great idea! I have never thought about doing it that way.
One part i can't understand or figure out is how the two parts of the
cranks connect. I would assume that the pedal side would be on the
outside of the axle side. right?
*

Initially I was thinking that the short arm (with the pedal attached)
would connect on the outside of the long arm (the one that connects with
the axle).

This would mean that the pedal would be slightly further outwards from
the axle than on a normal uni.

However, the short arm could connect on the inside of the long one, this
would leave the pedal no further out from the axle than normal; it would
slightly restrict the shortest effective crank length a little as, in
the short mode the pedal axle would rest on top of the long arm.

Then again, as some people prefer the pedal further out, as it stops
their heel accidently catching the axle, the first method may be ok
after all.
daino149 wrote:
Also, would there be something like a splined axel on the crank part
that goes into a splined hole on the hub part?

[/b]

That would be optional, but, as splining would be used on the long
arm/short arm connection, it would probably be used to connect the whole
crank to the axle as well.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874