Old March 16th 17, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default More About Lights

On 2017-03-15 12:39, Doug Landau wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 12:19:18 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 10:20:10 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau
wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 9:45:34 AM UTC-7, jbeattie
wrote:
On Wednesday, March 15, 2017 at 7:53:52 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt
wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:

:I remember burning out bulbs with my bottle dynamo if I rode
really :fast. I also remember the slipping problems when the
wheels were wet even :when I used the rubber boot sold to go
on the bottle dynamo roller. Hub :dynamos today really seem
to fall down at slow speeds.

Mine work fine from walking speeds. They produce more light
at higher speeds, but at slow speeds you don't need it,
because you're not moving fast.

I sometimes need light most at slow speeds, when I'm creeping
up hills and trying not to fall into giant pot holes.

-- Jay Beattie.

Where are you on Strava

No Strava. No Garmin. My cyclometer is broken. I might as well be
back in the stoneage.

-- Jay Beattie.

Strava's just for fun. I don't use a cyclometer any more. I just
count rear tires and multiply by 1500 now.

1500mi? Is that really all you get out of a rear tire? I routinely got
2500mi out of Gatorskins. The CST Conquistare I put on there now doesn't
look like it'll give me that many miles though.

I used to get 2K when I weighed 50 Lbs less
I routinely get 2500-3K from a Gatorskin. I count em as 2 when figuring the mileage on my bike
I -think- I've been getting slightly over 1500 from the basic conti - the 2000 or ultrasport or whatever its called these days
I -think- I get slightly under 1500 from SRAM 9 speed chains. I used to get 2K from those, too, when they were Sachs 8speed. Now it seems like 1200-1400

I've got a Sachs-Sedis 7-speed chain on my trusty old road bike. A
friend had one left over and it still had the old $6 price tag on it. It
is almost unbelievable, that chain is now on there for more than 4000mi
and it's only at 0.5% stretch. It does not want to die. I am very picky
WRT chain maintenance though. Clean and lube latest every 250mi, and
every 50mi on the MTB.

It'll survive the cassette which is technically close to EOL and I
installed it at about the same time. Although since I dremeled away the
excess on the odd splines I can flip all the sprockets around and get
another round out of them. Which I'll probably do since slightly more
recalcitrant shifting won't bother me, having grown up in the UG days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/