Old May 15th 15, 02:53 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 15 May 2015 11:36:30 +1000
Pelican wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...

OOPS again (note to self should research before hitting button)Seems to
refer to bicycle lanes
I can not find any law in Tasmania and most states that stops a bicycle
riding in the centre of a lane except when it refers to bicycle lanes

The Australian Road Rules give the basic rule in rule 129 -

129 Keeping to the far left side of a road

(1) A driver on a road (except a multi-lane road) must drive as
near as practicable to the far left side of the road.
Offence provision.

(2) This rule does not apply to the rider of a motor bike.

Rule 129 applies to cyclists.

THe reason it doesn't apply to motorcyclists is due to some court
cases about safety and the meaning of the word practicable. (I was
involved in motorcycle lobbying in SA at the time the SA law was
changed before the national road rules came in and helped with the
defence of one of the riders.)

I expect that should a cyclist be prosecuted for it they'll be playng
the practical card.

I certainly take the lane when it is not safe to stay left such as in
a lane too narrow for safe passing and with no escape route for me if
a car does crowd me.

What I think is safe and what the impatient person behind me thinks is
safe can be very different of course.

Bicycles like motorcycles have to always take account of traction and
road surface. A bicycle needs to be more aware of road surface than a
motorcycle as a pothole that is an annoyance to a motorcycle can cause
a crash for a bicycle. A bicycle rider will also be more worried about
space to either side as bicycles often need to move on the road more
than motorcycles do.

I find that most times car drivers do the right thing, and I try and
share the road sensibly with them. If I can help them pass safely I
will.

But I will be the one making the decision about what is safe, and if
that means someone in a car is held up for 30 seconds or even a whole
minute till they can pass me safely, then I'll lose no sleep over it.

Should I ever be prosecuted for not keeping left, I will have good
reasons for doing so and I am confident I would win the case. I
expect it will go the same way as the SA ones many years ago.

Zebee