Old October 31st 17, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-10-29 17:09, Frank Krygowski wrote:

... let me repeat: I've had some motorists act
displeased when I've ridden at lane center. I've never had one run me
over. I've never known another cyclist who had that happen.

I knew two personally who have been hit from behind. They survived but
one lost a kidney and the other had a ruptured spleen. Then there was
the woman here who got rear-ended in the right lane at high speed. Died..
Numerous others down in the valley, including an off-duty police officer
who was catapulted off his road bike and died.

And I can double check my list, but I think it's now up to nine friends
who were killed in motor vehicle accidents. Zero on bicycles. We can
trade anecdotes (and you frequently do) but I give more credence to
unbiased data.

It doesn't pay to be timid. Man up.

Why take the risk when there are alternatives such as this?

https://goo.gl/maps/XJk1gMRC2eA2

Here's why I "take the risk," Joerg. First, the risk of being hit while
riding lane center is extremely low. Most of those hit that way seem to
be unlit cyclists riding at night, probably drunk or nearly so. Data's a
bit soft, but that does seem to be what it shows.

But more important: If I waited for "alternatives" such as the one you
show to be built, I would have missed about 45 years of enthusiastic
adult riding. I'd have missed riding in about a dozen different
countries, 47 states and hundreds of different towns and cities. I
wouldn't have been able to ride my bike to work at four different jobs.
I'd have missed wonderful vacations with my family, and I'd have missed
making at least a hundred good cycling friends.

I know many people have bought the "Danger! Danger!" mantra and never
leave the nice, safe (and horridly boring) bike path. I chose instead to
learn to be competent on ordinary roads. And I'm damned glad I did.

We pretty much agree with this. I don't have to worry any more about riding a bike around dangerous drivers than I would driving a car. But that is a clear and present danger because the police no longer enforce driving laws. Yesterday I was driving up the street and some woman pulls a large SUV out of her driveway directly in front of me forcing me to slam the brakes on. It is common for women especially to pull out of parking lots or other driveways looking to the right when traffic comes from the left.