Old July 23rd 19, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Making bike less likey to be vandalized

On 7/21/2019 6:08 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

I've tried both those methods while trying to do service calls on my
bicycle. Despite removing everything possible from the bicycle every
time I park it to a bike rack, something gets stolen. The local
bicycle component thieves apparently carry all the necessary tools.

snip

Ah, the joys of Santa Cruz. My daughter had half of her Mirrycle mirror
stolen. I suppose that it got fenced for 3ยข.

A 24" or 26" wheeled high-quality folder would work fine for you, but
these days you'll spend $1000 for a Dahon IOS9 or a Tern Eclipse D16.
There's a trend now to 451 (22" wheels) and away from 20" wheels, but
you may find those too small as well. I couldn't find the current PCI
(Pavement Condition Index) of Santa Cruz, but I'd be surprised if it's
more than 70, and a small-wheeled folder is not advisable in places with
low PCI scores. My Brompton, with its 16" wheels, is not a great bike to
use in San Francisco.

I have a 26" Montague from many years ago. It doesn't even look like a
folding bike. But it doesn't fold small and you have to remove the front
wheel to fold it.