Old September 24th 18, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Peugeot PX-10 max cog size?

On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 10:09:50 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/24/2018 12:43 PM, Joerg wrote:
He said it's from 1972. So he's got
me beat by 10 years with my road bike.

He's tied with my utility bike, which is ridden almost daily.

My PX10 was from '69 and bought in '72-3, but its long gone. RIP. To get a 7 speed on the PX10, he had to send the PW hubs back to PW for a new axle (probably $90 plus shipping unless local shop has tools). He also had to re-space the frame (making sure he dropouts are parallel, probably $60 if he went to a shop) dish the wheels (assuming the rear wasn't disassembled to return the hub $20). All the replacement stuff with freewheel, saddle, brake pads, cables, tape. We're talking an easy $400 to make it a bike that needs another $500 to make it as good as a $400 bike from Bikes Direct.
I look at this and groan: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-h...2/IMG_2675.JPG

I never understood people who collected second string French stuff from that era. I could see fluffing up a Masi or DeRosa, but that's about it for me. I bought a used PX10 when I was in high school, and it was all I could afford. I would have bought Italian if I had the money.

-- Jay Beattie.