Old March 5th 05, 07:42 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:
I have a LED light on the bike and a dynamo set up front, but I wanted to
add a little generator driven light to the left seat stay. You can get one
easily enough in Europe, but I'm in the states. Any ideas?

It's for the standard Basta dynamo, btw:
http://photos5.flickr.com/5937872_033e4e7eea_o.jpg

I know battery lights are good and all, but I just like the idea of
another human powered light. I like the sound of the dynamo--it's
nostalgic. Only gets used for short trips, so never gets annoying. :P

I believe Peter White Cycles has some offerings:
http://peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm

There's one (Schmidt?) unit in there that can be powered
either by generator or by dry cells.

Another, cheaper option might be to look at some of those
'toy' generator light sets at such sources as Wal*Mart.
Look for a set that comes with a taillight (I think most
of them do.)

The community-oriented bike shop down the street from me
has a box full of old used ones; customers can root through
the box, pick the one or two they like, and would probably
pay around $2 for each.

The Tung Lin[tm] bottle generator setup I recently got came
with a taillight with the chainstay clamp, but I mounted it
on my rear fender instead, where it's somewhat higher up than
on the chainstay, and it doesn't have my rear rack strut
partially obscuring it.

cheers,
Tom

--