Old October 10th 11, 02:33 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Default dunlop

Krypsis wrote:
On 10/10/2011 7:12 PM, Rob wrote:
On 10/10/2011 9:52 AM, terryc wrote:
Phil H wrote:
Than again, it could
just be the council hauling them off to the tip.

Around here it is scrap metal collectors.

This was happening when the bi annual cleanup was on its since changed.
Scrappies came first for about 2 week prior pulled all the metal out
left a mess then council came to remove the remainder (only taking it if
correctly bundled.) There has been mess piles left which council will
not remove.

I tell the scrappies to either take the lot or leave it or I report them.

I had a Volvo driving scrappie dismantling a monitor I had out on the
hard waste collection. He is well known for spreading bits all over,
then breaking off the neck of the tube to retrieve the copper wire in
the deflection yoke. I told him to either take the lot or leave it
alone. I didn't threaten to report him, the menace of the iron bar I was
holding was sufficient inducement for him to decide to take the whole
monitor.
He hasn't been seen around here since!

One day I'm collecting some old hardware from a mate to do a little
re-use myself, when he asked me to give h a hand to shift about 25
monitors to the kerbsie(his council has (bi-)annual clean up days. I
asked if council would take them and he said " they will go before
council comes around". Sure enough we had no sooner dumpd the last one
and walked inside and a truck pulled up and collected the lot whole.

Different stlye in our area as you get four free pickups a year. uusally
he instruction is to put your stuff out Sunday evening for collection
that week. By monday morning most piles have been ratted for anything
with metal in it.

The local scrap yard has no dea how these guys make a living given the
amount of driving they must do. Born out by hardly seeing the same truck
& driver for long, except in one case where all members of the family
have mobile jobs and can spot stuff during their paid work.