Old May 14th 15, 08:39 AM posted to aus.legal,aus.bicycle
Pelican

Default Talkback one eyed lunatics.

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...
Pelican wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
I do not know If any one has heard 2UE afternoon talkback, think his
name is Justin smith,on the subject of bicycle rider registration, he
seems manic on the subject and howls down anyone who has an opposite
view to his, he seems to have the opinion that it is a foregone
conclusion that we will have rider registration by the end of the year.
He seems to have Duncan Gay (roads minister)on his side.
He also has the opinion that bicycle ordinations should not be allowed
representation at the soon to be,round table group on the subject with
Duncan Gay because "they are going to say no to everything".
His idea is registration of rider not bicycle with mandated fluoro
jackets with number on the back.

We would then be the only place in the world with it.
It would almost mean the death knell for cycle riding.
He has a bee in his bonnet about insurance associated with
license,which would in my opinion eventually make the license fee
expensive which is the case of all mandated insurance since the
beginning of time.
He would be better served to get government paid cover for the minute
cases of third party claims against bicycles.(every so often a bicycle
knocks some one down injuring and even killing where the victim has no
cover and can not identify the culprit)
It is not worth registration just for revenge against the rider,it is
better to cover the third party through special govt.paid insurance
and would be much cheaper than an other licensing monolith.
It would mean that I would never ride again as it is rare that I do
and would not be worth it (I sometimes take train with bicycle to the
city or places like Gosford for use at the other end)

There are quite a few proposals floating around. For example, this one
-
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226738618261.
It's a democracy, so feel free to make your views heard. Write to the
Minister, and have your say. For what it's worth, I don't like your
idea of a government scheme. I would much prefer a private scheme by
the insurance industry, if possible, backed by law making it compulsory
for bike riders, or bikes, to be registered in a way that makes it
self-funding. The simpler, the better.

No such animal as the simpler the better once it starts
The small cost of third party claims paid by government would be nothing
against the overall cost of compulsory licensing and insurance for all
bike riders, a complete new industry with the insurers licking their lips
at the new windfall, which would increase as it takes hold, the same as it
did for all mandated insurance cover, compulsory auto third party
compulsory building insurance etc, loads more govt staff to run licensing
etc.

You are over-exaggerating the problem. The law already provides a remedy
for cyclists with personal or property injuries. The law already provides a
remedy for others with personal or property injuries which are the fault of
cyclists, but the consequences might be difficult where a cyclist doesn't
have funds. That problem can arise in many situations, of course. All that
is apparently being considered is a measure to ensure that those injured by
cyclists have an effective remedy eg by there being some sort of fund of
contributions by cyclists. That need not involve licensing, registration of
bikes, annual payments etc etc. It's not an anti-biking measure.