Old December 16th 15, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default O/T: knots

On December 15, Joy Beeson wrote:
When/whatfor does one use a sheet bend, vs. a square knot?

You use a square knot (or a surgeon's knot) when you want to pull the
line tight while tying it, tying a package,

ha, when was the last time anyone saw a string tied
package sent through post office?

Still, it might be useful - which knot is dedicated for packages?

You use a sheet bend (or some other bend) when you want to tie two
lines end-to-end. The square knot isn't suitable if the two lines
don't match, it may jam and be impossible to untie, and it's apt to
capsize into two half hitches when wooled around.

Is there a trick to easily tie a sheet bend? I find it
awkward. I recall learning, long ago, that you really
know a know when you can tie it blindfolded.

--
Rich