Old November 11th 17, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-11-11 07:21, jbeattie wrote:
On 2017-11-01 13:39,
wrote:
On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at
12:35:34 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:

-snip snip-

Educate yourself on roadworthiness checks. In some areas of
this world they are mandatory, in others they aren't.

Exactly. Germany, apparently inspects bicycles while the majority
of the world... including the U.S. where you now live, doesn't.
Is this proof that Germany does good while the rest of the world
does bad? Or is it proof that Germany restricts an individual's
freedom to do what he/she wants even more then any other
country.

And, if it is proof that Germany is a better place whatever are
you doing in the U.S. where things are so chaotic?

An old saying:

In Germany everything is forbidden, unless it is allowed. In USA
everything is allowed, unless it's forbidden. In Italy everything
is allowed even if it is forbidden.

BTW, I don't think there is a mandatory bicycle inspection in
Germany.

There isn't and I never wrote that. There is one for cars, mandatory
every two years, and that's what I brought as an example. One of the
tests is hard braking on the roller set. If the pedal bottoms out before
full force is achieved or even goes a bit lower than usual they'll slap
an inop sticker on the whole car. You can only have it hauled off by a
tow truck (and must do so within a reasonable time frame).

... It's like most places where there are equipment
requirements, and the police enforce those requirements on an ad hoc
basis -- usually as part of a stop for some other reason. I also
don't get why John B is arguing about non-functioning brakes. Why
would anyone want to ride a bike with brakes that bottom out at the
lever before stopping the wheel? That seems like a pretty
non-controversial point.

To ride a bike like that would border on stupid.

... I don't think most people need discs with
giant rotors, but Joerg is a special case.

All one has to do is go down French Creek Road and then Holly Drive out
here on a loaded bike and the li'l 6-incher in back starts to smell.
Can't use the front too much because it's loose gravel. Similar for some
of the long hills in the Sierra east of here. The 8" rotors I mounted
yesterday will allow me to roll down many of the long downslopes without
a cooling-off break or spritzing water onto the rotors.

A friend had 8" on the front and still lost the front brake at the last
curve on a long hillside. One of those "Oh s..t!" experiences.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/