Old June 28th 20, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Government Bicycle Program News

On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 5:06:17 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/27/2020 7:10 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, June 27, 2020 at 1:55:48 PM UTC-7, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:

When I cycle to the nearby bathing lake, I wear something different than
when I drive a few broken roof tiles to the garbage dump and again
something else when I ride to the opera on the utility bike. On sunny
summer days, I see young girls in airy summer dresses driving by on
their bikes. From time to time, a teenager rides here for sports, in a
judo suit, by bicycle. Same with football clothing.

We wear tweed. http://tweedpdx.net/ Or nothing at all.

If I rode to the opera in a suit, I'd have to do 500 feet of climbing to get home -- in a suit. Just riding a few miles in my work clothes to run errands at lunch or go to the doctor, I get back to the office, and I'm a sweaty wreck or rain soaked. I had one job where I rode to work in my nice slacks, and I wore holes in them. Waste of good slacks. I wear normal clothes to run over to the store, assuming I don't walk or drive. But anything more than three or four miles, I wear cycling clothes.

That's fine. I've done 20 miles in ordinary clothes many times, but I'll
usually use bike shorts, at least, if it's longer than 10 miles.
The bike you made fun of ("looks like a dumpster find") by looking at a
photo taken in autumn 2007 didn't have a hub generator then, because
head- and taillight where driven by a lead/acid battery, so the bottle
dynamo just served as a somewhat unreliable backup.

Wow, you were really hurt. I'm sorry. If somebody told me my commuter looked like POS. I'd just go "meh" and not be emotionally upset.

But why say such a thing in the first place? And how ironic that you did
that, while claiming I'm the elitist or intolerant one.

On one hand, not all cyclists are equally competent, or dedicated, or
safe, or skilled, or fast, or stylish, or practical, or young or
whatever. We should be able to discuss those differences.

But we shouldn't feel a need to insult people for those differences.

WTF? This is a bicycle tech group. If somebody posts a picture of bike in obvious need of TLC, this is exactly the place where it will draw a comment. Who knew Wolfgang was so attached to the thing.

-- Jay Beattie.