Old September 2nd 05, 06:26 PM
Chris Neary

Default easy as riding a bicycle...

The thing is with a fixie you control the speed by varying your cadence,
but on a regular road bike, you want to spin at a constant RPM. i find
these conflicting.

You're right that many recreational and casual riders of "regular" bikes
spin at a constant RPM, essentially training their legs to produce maximum
power over a relatively narrow RPM range, but this is not always the case
for others.

Racers for instance, train to produce power over a wider range, allowing
them to adjust to variations in the speed of the group or respond to an
attack without shifting gears (or shifting as much). For anyone desiring to
ride in groups, this is a good skill to cultivate.

Guess what: riding a fixie can be a great way to do just that.

how do you guys manage switching from one bike to another ?? i am sure
no matter what each bike's handling is going to be different.

My fit on my road bike and fixie are similar, right down to using the same
handlebars on each . The crank lengths are different though.

The fit on our tandem is significantly different, but a tandem is just a
different animal.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh