Old June 28th 15, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Chaplin

Default AG: Twist-ties

John B. wrote in
:

On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 01:19:19 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

(written 24 June 2015)

I solved a problem with twist-ties yesterday.

I stopped at a fruit market, where I bought a bag of Jonagold apples
and, for lunch, a ham sandwich and a small bag of potato chips.

As usual, I ate only half my lunch. (I ate all of the taco salad that
I bought for supper, and lived to regret it.) The sandwich was no
problem; I re-wrapped it in the sheet of plastic it had come in and
put it beside the bottle of ice in my cooler.

But I had no clothespin to close the potato-chip bag, and there was no
use in searching my pockets for a paper clip: I'd inventoried my
pockets before the ride. (Gets up to string a couple of paper clips
on the safety pin in my emergency bag.)

Perhaps if I wrap the bag around the remaining chips instead of
rolling it down -- that works, but if I wedge it in tightly enough to
keep the bag from unrolling, I'll crush the chips. What I need is a
piece of string. There was a little paper bobbin of linespun-linen
carpet thread in the first-aid kit in the lost toolkit. I'll never
see linespun linen again, but upon thought, I do have some pre-wound
"bobbins" (they are actually cakes of thread, so wound as to hold
their shape with no actual bobbin) of nylon sewing thread. (Gets up
to pop one into a "pill pouch" (mini zip-lock bag) and add it to
emergency kit.)

Then I remembered that I had a sheet of twist-ties in my memo-book
case, peeled off four, hooked them end-to-end, secured my potato
chips, and tossed them into a pannier.

I tried plastic "wire ties", or "cable ties" they are sometimes
called. Bad Move. They are impossible to get loose without a knife or
a pair of shears :-)

I've been using rubber bands, or just throwing the half bag of chips
away :-)

I use Bulldog Clips (paper clamps) to hold chip bags closed.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO