Old April 24th 18, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default today's ride

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 7:27:58 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 1:03:10 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

On 2018-04-22 14:04, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 9:57:29 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
... I'd rather turn on
some reggae on my MP3 player and get it over with. The other sound
I found helps with climbs is the chouff-chouff of a steam
locomotive which I also have on the player.

Why not just listen to the crickets or your tire on the pavement ....

Rear tire on pavement? vvvvt .. vvvvt .. vvvvt ... yeah, that'll be
really entertaining. Right up there with bottom bracket groans.

Â*Â*Â*Â* ... or the thoughts in your head.

The only thought I have on steep climbs is "Are we there yet?" :-)

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... Blaring music in the wilderness should be
a crime -- like littering.

It's not loud, I keep it down. Other cyclists only hear it when I pass
them or when they pass me, and then only when we are next to each other.
Some like it so much that we ride together a while.

Our club once had a new guy show up with a little boom box on his bike's
rear rack. I'm sure he thought A) it was great music B) everybody would
like it C) it wasn't too loud.

Nobody would ride anywhere near him. AFAIK, after two club rides he
never came back.

There's a lot of ignorance about music. One very nice guy I know once
mentioned that he and I and our significant others should go out to some
area bar some time, to hear some bands he liked. He said something like
"Come on, you like good music!"

And it's true that most people like good music. Trouble is, we differ
wildly and adamantly about our personal definitions of "good music." And
IME the least musical people are the ones who understand this the least.
They think _everybody_ should love Van Halen (or whomever) because,
well, dude! He's so GOOD!

Without getting into disputes about genres or artists, I'd say the only
music I'd ever want to hear while on the bike or in nature (including
campgrounds) would be live music played or sung without any electronics
involved. If you can't play or sing it yourself, you should be too
embarrassed to impose it on others.

I'd also suggest that "Good Music", to some extent at least, depends
on the ambience in which one hears it :-) A 5 string banjo certainly
sounds appropriate at an out door sing along but I can't conceive an
opera, say Die Walküre, played on the 5 string :-)

I couldn't find any Wagner. How about some Bach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLyM4gCrn1k

Actually, it sounds just a bit similar to a lute.

How about strummed spokes -- with a frame pump (Die Walkure, doppler effect fading into background).

-- Jay Beattie.