Old January 4th 19, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Build it and ... why aren't they coming?

On 1/3/2019 6:37 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/3/2019 6:52 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
" writes:

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 2:21:29 PM UTC-6, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 1/3/2019 2:09 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 9:10:57 AM UTC-6,
jbeattie wrote:

I couldn't imagine living in the Mid West or some
place where
there was snow on the ground for long periods of time
and below
zero F on a regular basis. I'd move to Phoenix.

-- Jay Beattie.

Due to Global Warming, the Midwest has not had a real
winter in
more than a decade. In Des Moines today, right in the
middle of
the Midwest, its 36 degrees and Zero snow. Going to be
in the 40s
or 50s highs for the next week. In early January???
It does snow
two or three times each winter. An inch or two that
sticks around
for less than a week. But the roads are cleared in a
few hours
and easily rideable with studded tires. You only need
studs for a
few days of the year. Rest of the time rubber works
perfectly.
If it wasn't dark for 16 hours a day, you would never
even know it
was winter in the Midwest.

It varies. It's been warm in Ohio this winter, but
examining weather
records, of the top 10 snowiest Januaries, six of them
occurred since
2000. Likewise, seven of the 10 snowiest Februaries.

Records at that location have been kept since at least
1931 (maybe
longer) so that's nine decades. Those results are
statistically odd.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Snow does not mean cold. Its snowed where I live when
its 33-34-35
degrees. But 33-34-35 degrees is WARM for January and
February. So
its very easy to have global warming and lots of snow. I
suspect all
the extra warmth in the air causes the water in oceans
and lakes to
heat up and evaporate into the air. And then once the
water is in the
air, it has to fall out of the air by either rain or
snow. And it
seems we have two or three hurricanes every year too.
More evidence
of global warming.

On the other hand, 2018 saw the fewest (total) deaths from
tornadoes in
the US since 1875.

https://weather.com/storms/tornado/n...est-since-1875

Italy seems to have had an unusual number, however.

Must be global warming.

Inherently rare events like hurricanes and, I suppose,
tornado deaths will always show a lot of random
fluctuations. (The same is true of bicycling fatalities.) I
don't think those fluctuations can necessarily be used to
prove any particular cause.

But long term changes in common and ordinary data are more
likely to mean something is happening.

Long before most of the discussion on climate change, I came
across an article discussing data a historian noted in
diaries of British farmers. Farmers were diligent about
recording the dates of the last frost, and those dates had
been consistently creeping earlier for many decades. To me,
that indicates a real trend with a real cause.

Which completely explains the plowed fields with stone
borders under the retreating Greenland glaciers. The real
question is, will England once again be a major wine
exporter as it was for Hadrian's garrisons?

Where I am now was once a mile deep with ice yet 40 miles
from here there are 100-ft deposits of limestone with shells
from a warm tropic sea. Which future might I expect next?
Which clothes will I need this year?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/