Old January 4th 19, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Rain or snow - which do you prefer to ride in?

jbeattie writes:

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 8:24:57 AM UTC-8, duane wrote:
On 04/01/2019 11:11 a.m., Radey Shouman wrote:
" writes:

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 7:43:22 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

So for those of you who ride in both rain and snow, which do you prefer?

I try not to ride in either rain or snow. I ride for enjoyment. I
have no mental, psychic, or psychological problem that makes me ride
when its not fun to ride. I guess that makes me crazy. I just ride
when its enjoyable. Actually I try to only do things that are
enjoyable and try not to do anything unenjoyable. Again, crazy me.

But as already stated by others, snow means cold. Its 32 or colder
when there is snow. Rain means warmer than snow. Its above 32 with
rain. Rain and snow are identical except for the temperature. I like
to be warmer than colder. So if I had to choose between the fire or
stove for being burned, I guess I would choose the rain. Its going to
be warmer.

I find that it's much colder and more miserable to ride in rain at 33F
than snow at 31F. Heat transfer is not entirely about temperature
differences.

+1

Near freezing rain does suck -- but it sucks less if you have good
rain gear and avoid climbs and descents. Hypothermia is a thing riding
in cold rain and even racing in cold rain when there are long
descents. When you're not generating heat, soaked and taking a lot of
wind on a downhill, you get to a point where you're shivering so hard
that you can barely hold the bars -- and your head freezes, rain drops
pelt your eyes and you get that squinty-eye semi-conscious thing
going. Its loads of fun!

The other problem with near freezing rain is that it so often freezes,
becoming much slicker than new-fallen snow. The worst of both worlds is
that weatherman's favorite, the "wintry mix", alternating unpredictably
between rain, snow, and sleet.