Old January 5th 19, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Rain or snow - which do you prefer to ride in?

On 1/4/2019 6:02 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Is there no "treatment" that can be done" I know that for Dutch Elm
Disease there is a treatment although it has to, I believe, be applied
in the early days of infection.

There are a few systemic insecticides that can be used to save
individual trees. Some are applied by soaking them into the ground
around the tree. Some must be injected by an arborist. But these are
usually effective only if the tree is not too large, and the process is
impractical for any but "specimen" trees - that is, fairly isolated ones
that are showpieces you really want to keep.

We had four closely spaced ash trees on the west side of our lot, giving
valuable summer evening shade to our patio. They were planted in 1943,
the year our house was built. (That's by counting rings.) Tree #2, the
runt of the litter, was always weak, shaded by much larger tree #1. I
had an arborist I know treat them all, but he said it was unlikely to
work. Within two years, it was obvious #2 and #4 had to come down. This
involve a bucket truck and considerable expense.

The arborist said there was no sense treating #1 and #3, to just cut
them down instead. I decided the shade was too valuable, so I applied a
supposedly less effective ground-soak insecticide myself, something like
$30 per tree per year. It's four years later, and they're still standing
- but they really are on their last legs.

I need to research fast growing shade trees. And awnings.

--
- Frank Krygowski