Old January 5th 19, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Rain or snow - which do you prefer to ride in?

John B. Slocomb wrote:
:On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 22:13:13 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

:On 1/3/2019 9:11 PM, jbeattie wrote:
:
: There have been very few above-freezing rainy days when I couldn't ride -- and those were monsoon days with 50mph wind gusts and trees falling down, some of which actually squish cyclist around here. On my commute route: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2NLBJJCEAAS4KK.jpg That fell on a cyclist in the bike lane. Bike lanes are dangerous!
:
:I'm curious about the cyclist's injuries.
:
:Around here, we had a kerfuffle regarding ash trees killed by the
:Emerald Ash Borer. That invasive insect is killing something like 99% of
:ash trees, so our local forest preserve has lots of dead trees.
:
:There's a squad of local idiots who wanted to cut down every dead tree
:in the 265 acre forest preserve, for "safety." Others said look, just
:cut the ones over parking lots, picnic tables, etc. but the idiots
:yelled about liability, despite Ohio laws and Supreme Court cases
:absolutely absolving the village of liability in such an instance.
:
:Along the way, I dug out a research paper that estimated the number of
:tree fall deaths in the U.S. at about 25 (IIRC), with most of those
:occurring inside cars, probably when people drove their car into a
:fallen tree. Seems there are no more than 10 or 12 per year that occur
:with people just being outside. Having one of those dozen occur in our
:woods would be a statistical fluke.
:
:After this settled down a bit, there was a report of a man knocked
:unconscious by a falling ash tree in the forest. We suspect the idiot
:team found a recently fallen tree and paid a guy to lie under it.

:Is there any demand for ash lumber? I believe that in New England some

There was, but there's a huge oversupply at the moment.

--
sig 7