Old January 5th 19, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rain or snow - which do you prefer to ride in?

On Friday, January 4, 2019 at 9:06:50 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/3/2019 10:15 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 22:03:36 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/3/2019 8:43 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I ride my bicycle all year round which means I ride it in both rain and snow. To me rain or snow have certain advantages and disadvantages over each other. I like the rain because once it stops the roads are soon dry again. However, I sometimes prefer the snow because when it's dry snow falling you don't have to worry as much about getting wet like you do if it's raining and you've left your rain gear at home. However again, I don't like deep snow when it's been only salted and not plowed which turns it into a grease-like substance that has not traction for anything. Snow too can hide holes and or cracks in t he road surface and those holes or cracks can deflect a front wheel.

So for those of you who ride in both rain and snow, which do you prefer?

I think I would prefer riding in snow, if it were not so blasted cold.
These days (as previously mentioned) I have problems with riding in cold
weather, meaning anything below 40F.

So when I do ride in snow, it's short distances only. I kind of like
riding fresh snow, just because it seems playful and adventurous. I did
lots of it as a kid, and I'm pretty good at avoiding crashes. But I'm
not a fan of rutted or re-frozen snow.

Gentle rain is OK, but not really fun in my book. Hard rain is less fun,
and rain plus wind is worse. The only exception has been those times on
super-hot days that I got caught in refreshing showers.

A sort of related question :-)

A while ago you talked about breathing problems in cold weather and
several folks recommended a mask. Did you try that and what were the
results.

I haven't tried it because I've been coughing since before Christmas.
And because of that, the only riding I've done has been short (typically
1 mile) utility rides right near home.

I'm just back from the doctor, starting meds to reduce bronchial
inflammation. Getting old is hell.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, I got a case of brochitis that became worse and worse until I finally went to the doctor. He said you should come in immediately for that sort of thing because it can convert to bacterial pneumonia and kill you in rather short order.