Old November 11th 17, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Why do some forks and frames have brake rotor size limits?

On 2017-11-11 07:21, jbeattie wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ... I don't think most people need discs with
giant rotors, but Joerg is a special case.

All one has to do is go down French Creek Road and then Holly Drive out
here on a loaded bike and the li'l 6-incher in back starts to smell.
Can't use the front too much because it's loose gravel. Similar for some
of the long hills in the Sierra east of here. The 8" rotors I mounted
yesterday will allow me to roll down many of the long downslopes without
a cooling-off break or spritzing water onto the rotors.

A friend had 8" on the front and still lost the front brake at the last
curve on a long hillside. One of those "Oh s..t!" experiences.

Hmm. So even 8" isn't sufficient. Good to know.

My brakes are about 25" diameter. I'm keeping them! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski