Old April 26th 18, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Installing a chain

On 4/26/2018 5:21 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

With my previous thread about chain lubrication, I realized that I have
always had some trouble installing a chain. It is not really difficult,
but several issues complicate the procedu the crankcase makes it hard
to position the chain around the ring, and the final assembly is done
under tension from the derailleur.

Perhaps there are some tricks to ease the procedure?

Well, nothing is perfectly easy.

I have a little tool, sort of a clip, that slips over the next-to-last
link at each end of the chain (or thereabouts) and holds them against
the force of the derailleur's tension arm. This makes it easier for me
to fuss around getting the ends of the chain to align before either
driving in the last pin, or using a quick link.

--
- Frank Krygowski