Old March 21st 04, 10:05 AM
Bruce Graham

Default Convert Hybrid to Touring bike

In article ,
says...
Can a good hybrid be made into an adequate good touring bike?
By adding dropped bars and going to bar end friction shifters?
It seems that it would be cheaper for me to get a hybrid because they
have a 26" tires, canti breaks, and low gears. These three things add
a lot of cost to a bike.

I would want to be able to add front and rear bags and I am not sure
if racks would fit.

The touring bike I like would cost 4k and is more than I can afford.

My touring bike was inexpensive because the manufacturer did more or less
what you suggested (back in '97 he used a longer than usual CrMo hybrid
frame added drop bars, RSX brifters and cranks, cantis, mtn rear
derailleur, 11-30 cassette and MA2 36h rims). I lengthened the stem a
bit and have a comfortable fit. I bought it in 98 for about 1/3 the
price of a Cannondale tourer and it has been fine for me.

I suspect it would be much less cost-effective to retrofit a hybrid
unless you have a supply of used parts and the spare time to find out
what works.