Old June 11th 21, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Airborne

On 6/10/2021 6:09 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 5:28:02 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/10/2021 5:23 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 10:48:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
This was a terrorism campaign of the highest order.

I understand as a Trumper and Republican, you consider history to be irrelevant. But during WW2, the USA was legally, officially at war with Japan. The US Congress declared war on Japan on December 8, 1941. September 2, 1945 is officially V-J day. Victory over Japan. Surrender signed by Japan on that day. Not sure if or when Congress officially signed a war is over document. I looked up the definition of terrorism on Google and it says "the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims." Since the USA was lawfully at war with Japan, Congress passed a law, its not terrorism.

+1
--
Andrew Muzi

Let me give Tom a little slack or sympathy. Calling the fire bombing of Tokyo and other civilians during WW2 bad, awful, evil, mean, terrible, etc. can be argued today. Right or wrong, up or down, left or right, black or white. Answer is....... The US fire bombed Dresden Germany in 1945 was terrible. Justified? The head brass said yes because it demoralized the enemy and hindered their ability to make war implements. I suspect they used the same rationale for Tokyo and Japan too. In hindsight we can debate it. Whether the use of warfare against civilians, non combatants, is correct and right. Is war only supposed to be against the enemies warriors?

And Naples was bombed more than any European city[1] (Warsaw
suffered more destruction from multiple, some gratuitous,
artillery campaigns)

c'est la guerre.

Bitching after the fact doesn't consider, or credit enough,
men who made decisions (popular decisions I might add, on
ALL sides) in the moment, with the available information and
resources at that moment.

[1] Arguably. It's a ball of worms. Counts include number
of bombs, tonnage, sorties, days of bombing, area destroyed,
loss of life etc in many different rankings. For Napolese,
a lot, no matter how you slice it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/