Old July 22nd 03, 11:50 AM
Shaun Rimmer

Default degreasing rear mech

CandT wrote in message
I've had good results with degreasing sprockets, front mechs, chains, and

other
bits by giving them a good dunking in degreaser, and then a bit of a

scrub, and
then a rinse, but I've never done the rear mech this way because of the

jockey
wheels.

Am I right in thinking that these have bearings, and therefore, submerging

in
degreaser would be very bad? Can the jockey wheels be removed beforehand -
allowing me to dunk the mech, and clean the sprockets by hand?

BTW - its an XT rear mech....

Yup - bottom jockey is 'sealed' bearing, top has a ceramic bushing. Both
wheels can be removed by use of the correct sized allen key (hex-bar
wrench).

The only problem(s?) I see in totally degreasing the rear mech, is the
possibility of dirt working its way into the bushings, and/or washing out
any grease/oil that's sitting deep inside these bushings, and not being able
to get new lube in there - might not be an issue, but you should maybe bear
it in mind.

Shaun aRe - only mentioned the last because a friend degreased his rear mech
and had (possibly related) shifting issues for some time afterward.