Old March 20th 17, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default m-m-m-my Saronni

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 5:30:30 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 13:22:13 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 9:07:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 1:31:21 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 12:57:51 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 10:02:32 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

I really liked this bike. Not sure why I got rid of it, except I guess
it was just time for something new, just for a change. Paid $150 for
it ready to ride.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/saronni

Classic Italian road bike. Nice.

If that is a Colnago Saronni bike it is worth, depending on the group
set, upwards from, perhaps, $1,000.

Do a bit of goggling as the Colnago Saronni has some very identifiable
features which, if your bike has them, should serve as provenance.
--
Cheers,

John B.

John, what you're talking about is a Colnago with the model designation of Saronni.

The bike in question is a Saronni which I don't think had much connection with Giuseppe except to pay him a fee for the use of his name. Moser was the same way I believe.

I've seen some posts indicating that some of the Saronni brand bikes were made by Colnago.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16395

-- Jay Beattie.

Well, I can't say that I made a whole career of searching for
"Saronni" bicycles but a casual search did seem to show that it is
likely that "Saronni" was not the name of a brand of bicycles but
rather was the name that Colnago gave to specific versions of his
bicycles.

And the bike that the O.P. referenced seemed to exhibit a similarity
to the Colnago version.

You will note that I wrote "If that is a Colnago Saronni bike it..."

Of course, an alternate explanation is decals are fairly cheaply
obtainable :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Colnago apparently put the Saronni name on two models - the Super and the Mexico. I think these were the same but the Mexico was given that name because of the Olympics that year.

But the majority of Saronni's were not built by Colnago and weren't of that quality even Alan built an aluminum Saronni.

I can't find any non-Colnago Saronni's to show the frame differences now.

He won the Giro twice and was the main competitor of Francesco Moser. He is still alive and a whole lot younger than I am today.

I have seen Saronni frames that were trash. But that could have been Saronni decals on bad frames to begin with. I don't remember if they had the Saronni name on the fork heads or the seat stay ends. But they dod have those awful mile long horizontal dropouts without adjusters.