Old September 10th 17, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Road Discs

On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 12:28:59 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
So, my SuperSix was crushed in a roof-rack accident and last weak my Roubaix was stolen out of the garage that I left open all night. I've done that many times -- apparently one too many. I'm down to a gravel bike and my commuter -- the reborn warranty CAADX (which is a great bike).

The gravel bike is a pig, but I'll use that for fall/winter/spring sport riding. I want a fast bike, though -- and I've got a line on a nice bike that I can get with rim brakes or discs, but the disc model will not be available until December -- which really means that I get to ride it in dry weather some time around May. I can get a rim brake model by the end of the month.

All the shops are pushing discs, and I did like the discs on the Roubaix and on my gravel bike. I know this is absolutely the wrong group to ask because it's wall-to-wall curmudgeons, but if you were buying your last nice road bike, would you go rim brakes or discs? It will be a dry weather bike or ridden in the rain only because of bad luck. There would be no real weight penalty because the bike is so light to start with. I'm not aero, so I don't care about the aero penalty with discs.

My concern with getting rim brakes is not really even a performance issue because in dry weather, I've never had a problem with rim brakes -- but to listen to the guys at the local shop, rim brakes are going the way of the dodo. I'm worried about buying an antique!

-- Jay Beattie.

That would be a difficult choice for me if I had to buy a new road bike now.. Waiting a couple of months would not be an argument, that is silly. Disc for road bikes are coming that is for sure and they do brake an order of a magnitude better than rim brakes in the wet which I found out again during my trip this year to the Dolomites in bad weather. Set up properly they are very low maintenance (my cross bike). The only argument against them is the weight penalty of about 500 to 1000 grams. In one of the last issues of TOUR magazine they measured no aero penalty to their and my surprise. Once the pro riders going to use disc brakes rim brakes will get obsolete if you like it or not. What I see is that more and more road bikes offered for the next season are disc only...

Lou