Old November 20th 17, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bicycles in LA

On 11/20/2017 1:16 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/20/2017 8:44 AM, AMuzi wrote:
http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/...118-story.html

Yesterday I talked to a friend who had just returned from a
vacation in Scotland, with an added day or two in London. He
loved Scotland (where he once lived) but didn't like London.
"Too dirty, too crowded, and homeless people everywhere."

So I wondered about England's homeless population compared
to the U.S., and found this claiming they are roughly the
same, percentage-wise:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ess_population

(The UK as a whole is much higher.)

But the differences by nation are extreme, even among
relatively wealthy countries. What makes the difference?
(And why, for example, is New Zealand's so high?)

Seems to me that for the past couple hundred years,
engineers have done whatever was reasonably asked. Too bad
economists and sociologists haven't kept up.

Yes, engineers are experts at efficiency and conservation of
limited resources, but their solutions are not normally
subject to plebiscite by the unwashed masses.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/