Old May 25th 18, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default compared to texting drivers, not so bad

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 8:31:48 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/25/2018 9:57 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
https://www.iheart.com/content/2018-...his-own-hands/

So the guy proves it wasn't a bomb, saves a bunch of taxpayer money,
reduces traffic congestion, and this is the thanks he gets.

Most frightening statement ever-
"We're from the government. We're here to help you."

My wife had a seizure due to bleeding into the brain after brain surgery. I called 911 and the FD was at my door before I put the receiver down. Government, OHSU, re-assembled my son's ankles. You gotta love a hospital with a tram. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/x8sFyGlkMNs/maxresdefault.jpg The police got my Roubaix back and delivered it to the front of my office building. It's not all bad news.

Is government inefficient and sometimes misguided -- sure, particularly in the People's Democratic Republic of Portland, but historically, "government help" defined this state -- from Bonneville Dam to Timberline Lodge to Crater Lake. God save the National Parks -- and thanks to all the firefighters who prevented the whole Gorge from going up in flames due to some idiotic kid throwing lit fireworks into a forest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6mGFxTG4qM I'm also fond of the interstate highway system, among other government inventions. Good government separates us from the third-world -- along with common civility and a sense of civic duty, both of which seem to be slipping away at a rapid rate.

-- Jay Beattie.