Old October 12th 15, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Correcting a cross-threaded bottom bracket?

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 3:48:50 PM UTC-4, cassiope wrote:
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 20:44:44 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 02:06:12 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

I was finally able to get the bottom bracket off of a friend's steel frame English threads bottom bracket bike. Whew what a job! The fixed cup cup was cross-threaded. He wants to put in a standard square-taper spindle cartridge bottom bracket. The problem is since the fixed cup was cross-threaded I can't get the new cartridge to thread in properly. Does a decent bicycle shop have a way to correct the cross-threaded threads in the bottom bracket shell? If so what's a ballpark price for doing it?

Thanks and cheers

Depending on how badly the threads are deformed it may be possible to
recut the threads sufficiently to install a new bottom bracket
bearing.

If that fails there are "threadless bottom brackets" that can be used
to repair it. Velo Orange, and probably others, sell them, see
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...-brackets.html

Ooohhh! Thanks! Never saw one of those before. We bought my son a used bike
(from a local used-gear store), only to discover recently that the right side's
threads were toast. He took it to a local bike shop - they charged him $100
for chasing the threads and replacing the good sealed bearing unit with a
crappy one that didn't even fit properly. In an act of desperation I drilled
and tapped a couple of setscrew holes and installed an old non-sealed hub that
kinda fit (threads still loose - just not enough metal left). This has worked
for a few months without any issues but eventually something like this threadless
version will probably be needed.

Again - thanks!

According to that manufacturer make sure your bottom bracket shell is no more than 68mm wide otherwise this threadless BB won't work.

Cheers