Old November 29th 15, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Fuel: bananas

Bananas are the canonical bike fuel. They are low in water and
therefore high in other nutrients, but don't make you thirsty. Bananas
come in an easy-open biodegradable wrapper that lets you eat them
without touching your food with your filthy hands, bananas never
dribble on your jersey, and bananas contain no pits to choke on when
refueling too fast -- you could swallow a banana without chewing it at
all, if you had to.

Bananas are so mild in flavor that many of the people who don't like
them can eat them anyway.

Most important, bananas are available at all seasons of the year, and
almost every food store sells bananas -- I've even seen them for sale
in gas stations -- so it's quite safe to get habituated to them.

I used to carry a banana and a snack bag of nuts for lunch. Bite the
end of the banana flat, press one or more pieces of nut into the
freshly-bitten surface, repeat. This has a good balance of sugar,
complex carbs, protein, and fat.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/