Old August 16th 05, 03:35 AM
JeffWills

Default Cantilever brakes versus "direct pull" brakes

Ken Pisichko wrote:
I am getting a touring frame (with S&S connectors) built to fit and now
we are discussing the use of direct pull (aka v-brakes) versus the
traditional cantilever brakes that i see on a LOT of touring bicycles.

I did originally purchase non-aero brake levers for the drop bars I
intend to use. Now i understand they won't be appropriate for direct
pull cantilevers. Any ideas on this? I understand Dia-Compe (spelling??)
has brake levers for drop bars and these brakes.

Comments? I have lots of time to get the bike built. This year is pretty
well shot (the leaves are just starting to change on some trees here in
Manitoba), but it has to be ready for next spring.

Ken

If you're asking about the Dia-Compe 287-V brake levers for
"direct-pull" brakes, I have them on my Fort cross bike. I have not had
any particularly remarkable issues with this combination. A search of
the archive will probably turn up many more comments, both pro and con.

Jeff