Old August 14th 18, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Homemade U-lock rack support

On 2018-08-13 08:27, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Frank Krygowski, 2018-08-13 17:11+0200:
Nice. If the appearance was bothersome, you could use a black tube held
in place with black zip ties.

Black tube, yes, if I can find some, but I only ever saw white tube in
hardware stores. Black zip ties, no, bad idea, as they let the tube
slide on the sides. I would rather use some black tape.

Zip ties are also bad in terms of reliability. It seems UV rays
embrittle them and then they just fall off. A while ago I chased and
stopped an MTB rider whose rear brake hose had come loose because of
that and was chafing on the rear wheel. Luckily I always have a snippet
of wire in my tool kit. Zip ties, too, but those only for temporary fixes.

Hmm. Well, I suppose that failure is possible, but:

My wife has some wire baskets filled with flowers hanging from a steel
balcony railing that I fabricated long ago. I attached those baskets
using black zip ties at least three years ago, IIRC. Those are in full
sun for about half the day. They're still fine.

I suppose I could pass out helmets to people sitting in the patio below
the balcony...

--
- Frank Krygowski