Old August 15th 17, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 10:31:38 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-14 08:51, wrote:
On Monday, August 14, 2017 at 8:29:42 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

Quit whining and buy a 105 compact crank with a $16 external
bearing BB. Your bike has no historical value and maintaining a bad
standard will just bring you back in one or two years with the same
complaints -- and the endless comparisons to the longevity of 25lb
car parts.

Well I have to agree with your idea if not your attitude.

When buying a $1k mainstream bicycle I expect things to last. People
with external bearings out here fare no better as their BBs also
develop creaks and bearing play after a few thousand miles.

It's similar with road bikes. A friend only buys high-class hubs
costing north of $200 a pop. They don't last longer than mine.

You need to move out of that Bermuda-Triangle-hell-hole where everything
breaks, nothing works, everything is dangerous and bicyclists can barely
survive.

If you read more carefully, as suggested often, you'd have noticed that
it isn't broken but simply _worn_ out.

But even a casual look at available You Tube films shows a guy
successfully rebuilding a cartridge BB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lar7mIMmTRE

And another replacing the O.B. model's bearings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hklHC2ae04g

My mother used to say, when I was whining about something, "The Good
Lord helps those who help themselves".
--
Cheers,

John B.