Old January 5th 06, 09:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default New Year pedolutionists

Andrew Price Wrote:

If you can remember back to that time we all went through when it was
all
new and confusing, probably with the wrong bike and making mistakes
galore I
recall the best thing that happened to me was to find a bunch that were
friendly, gave sage advice and who really made you feel welcome and who
wanted to ride with - that got me hooked and the rest is history.

Its picking up those new to cycling with encouragement and giving them
cycling nous which will add permanent numbers out there - not sure how
organise that but that is I think the critical stage between creating a
cyclist as opposed to just adding more unused metal lying around
garages.

best, Andrew

I've been very lucky to have the benefit of Euan's help to get me back
riding and all it took was about 20 minutes of riding around the local
netball courts doing various drills and a little bit of time on the
road explaining where I should be riding to feel confident and safe on
the road. I think in a hour you could get most people riding in a
reasonably competent manner. Maybe some additional reading on road
rules that apply to cyclists and send them on their merry way.

I think it's time Euan and I got involved with our local BUG. The BUG
doesn't meet again until February and are more into the touring group
they run than in bicycle advocacy as far as I can tell. If we can
weedle our way in to the group I'd be interested in running some local
bicycle education courses. Would there be liability issues with doing
something like that?

--
SuzieB