Old October 22nd 04, 04:04 PM
Jym Dyer

In Japan, they have secure bike parking at many train
stations, often with an attendant. Not that a bike would
be stolen or vandalized in Japan anyway...

=v= Maybe they're headed for the Dutch model?

One of the better ideas to come along in awhile is Bikestation:
http://bikestation.org/

=v= Wow, what timing, we both posted the same thing. (I like
my new Subject: title better, though.) :^)

=v= To really work well, bikestations need to be at more
stations, and taken seriously. The Bay Area only has 3, and
only 2 of those are even on the same rail system. So for the
most part they're only an option if you live or work within
biking distance of a bikestation and within walking distance
of a rail station.

=v= Even worse, they've shut down the Palo Alto bikestation
temporarily (during renovations) immediately after deploying
an express train service that squeezes bicyclists out. So
right now, when bike parking is most needed, it's taken away.
This is horrible planning all around.
_Jym_