Old September 9th 05, 01:16 PM
David Kerber

Default What's The Deal with Titanium Chain Locks?

In article ,
says...
NYC XYZ wrote:
Hi, All:

It occurred to me that a chain and lock made out of titanium would be
the lightest and strongest of all...but I don't seem to see any purely
titanium chain locks for sale, only "titanium reinforced" steel chain
locks.

What's up with that? Surely there are those who would pay premium
dollar for a lightweight but extremely strong chain lock made of
titanium. If I understand things correctly, titanium should be
unbreakable, right? I mean, it's the stuff tank armor is made of! But
I read instead that ti locks aren't as strong as steel, actually!

WTF?!

TIA!

Titanium makes a light knife, but it is quite poor in edge holding
capability, unless it is titanium carbide coated.

Ti Nitride also makes a usable cutting edge. I'm not a metallurgist,
but I believe carbides and nitrides are technically ceramics rather than
alloys.

newsgroups if possible).