Old July 29th 20, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Gravel bikes

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 6:22:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
What do you think of a gravel bike?

Does anyone have one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

Andy

I've had several good one's. Two Redline Conquests and a Ridley. They are sort of like comfortable road bikes. Not quite as fast but more sure-footed. I got rid of them for a good sport bike - the best of the lot they were replaced with was the last model of the Lemond Zurich made from Reynolds 853 steel tubing. VERY nice bike with all of the advantages of a gravel bike. Just put a set of wide tires on it and you could ride it nearly anywhere.

The "modern gravel bike" has a single advantage from them and that is the disk brakes with the "flat mounting". And the one advantage of that is that brake shoes are easy and cheap to replace vs. rim brakes wearing out the brake track on good wheels. The flat mounting makes the disk actuator difficult to break or even get damaged.

To tell you the truth, I've used most bikes as "gravel bikes" and I feel that it is a fad.

I looked up the Redline Conquest.

I have read where carbon frames can crack?

Andy